Sunday, January 15, 2006

And then there was one...

After nearly 2 months of intense training, 58 of the original 60 trainees of Nam25 were officially sworn in as Peace Corps Volunteers last Friday, January 6th. These past few months have been incredibly draining, and have challenged me in ways I never expected they would. I've laughed a lot, cried a fair amount, opened my eyes and my mind to many new things, and at the same time, questioned the way in which I do many things in my own life.

I can tell that Namibia, and its people, have affected me in ways I cannot quite explain. This is a country that has suffered an extreme amount over the past few decades, and the aftermath of that suffering is apparent in the ways that many Namibians relate to others, especially those like me who, no matter how many historical and cultural sessions I sit through, will never be able to fully comprehend what my new Namibian friends and coworkers have lived through. It is true that all humans suffer, but the suffering or hard times that I have experienced are not even in the same ballpark as the hard times the people of Namibia have seen. Most people I know, including myself, have very little to feel sorry for themselves over.

I have learned that I'm being watched very closely, perhaps because I'm a female, but perhaps simply because I’m different. The ways that I act or interact around or with others have often been misinterpreted, and therefore misjudged, which has made me wonder how many times I've made similar misjudgments about people who are different than me.

Perhaps the most important thing I've learned since being in Africa how truly different all people are. Maybe it was the idealist in me, but before coming here, I honestly believed that deep down, all human beings are the same. While that may be true in many ways, I have come to realize that I am a very different person than the people of Namibia. The way in which many people see and interpret the world around them is so incredibly different from my way of doing things; it is hard to explain. I'm at the point now where it has become interesting and challenging, at the same time, to be an active resident in a culture so foreign from my own. The honeymoon period of being a temporary visitor, a tourist, has passed, and Namibia has let its guard down to me, something that excites me and terrifies me all in the same thought.

I hope you are all well. For those who have not given up on me, thank you so much for reading and sending good thoughts my way. Even though it is hard to respond to each of you, your words of encouragement have been very helpful and have not gone unappreciated. Stay well!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who could/would forget about you. It is always great to read your blog updates. Keep them coming whenever you get the chance. Miss and love you very much!!
Katie

11:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello kit: Nice to have the training behind you? What an accomplishment! Now, you have to get the recipe to cook feet.
We're well here but we miss you. spring arrives soon--the river is open. Tell us more about the climate and the environment--isn't it summer? The rain and the rainbows? Stay well hon.
mom

3:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home